Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The world's sweetest letterhead?



Quite possibly.

How did I come into possession of this jewel? Well, after my blog post about Ted Cassidy, my thoughts naturally turned to other giant actors, which led me to the website of Richard Kiel, who portrayed the hulking, steel-toothed villain "Jaws" in the James Bond films "The Spy Who Loved me" (1977) and "Moonraker" (1979).

I saw that he was selling autographed photos for $10 (not to mention he wrote a historical novel about abolitionist Cassius Clay and a book about how to sell your home in today's competitive marketplace!)) and decided to order one. When I came back from my week off I saw an envelope marked "Richard Kiel Fan Club" on my desk. I eagerly tore it open, but it contained the wrong photo, plus it was made out to Steve, which is not my name. Also included was a lengthy letter Mr Kiel wrote to the fan, hence the letterhead.

Due to privacy issues I'm not going to show the whole letter, and in fact have already forwarded it on to the correct person. But I gotta say, I was fairly impressed that Mr. Kiel would sit down and write a full-page, single-spaced letter to what the language shows is an ailing fan. He's a classy guy. A really huge, classy guy.

No comments: