Friday, December 19, 2008

The Chuck Cunningham of advertising


I'm wrapping up my last week or so at my agency, and today we had the third of a series of big presentations for a re-launch of a soda brand for a large soft-drink magnate (hint: #2). I was the CD / copywriter on the account, and wrote everything. But for round 3, due to my leaving, I was not included. I led the round 1 and round 2 presentations, and had gone to research groups and strategy sessions with the client, but have to assume that no mention was made of my absence. I was simply not there anymore. Maybe it occurred to someone, but most likely went unexpressed. Just like Mr. Chuck Cunningham, booted uncermoniously from "Happy Days" after it's debut season. Then again, at least Chuck was given the back story of being given a college basketball scholarship, which would partially explain his absence to viewers willing to fill in the blanks.

Speaking of Chuck Cunningham, did you know that he was played by two different actors during the one season he was allowed to exist in the "Happy Days" universe? It's true. he was played by both Gavan O'Herlihy and Randolph Roberts, household names both. Even sweeter, Mr. O' Herlihy (Hmmm...Irish perhaps?) went on to play the reverse-mohawked gang leader in "Death Wish 3," one of the finest movies of all time as far as the blogfoot staff is concerned. It's a small world, as they say.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That reminds me of a poster at work. It has a picture of 5 dead mice in the same mouse trap. The caption reads "succeed together, fail together" or something like that. Your work no longer views you as in the group, so you are free of the mouse trap. Or piece of cheese if you will.

Here is a link to the image.
http://www.boingboing.net/images/_images__Mouse-Trap.jpg

Blogfoot said...

Hopefully I'll be able to afford cheese in a couple months.