Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Another gem from The Onion AV Club comments

This one is from a talkback for the McSweeney's novel "Arkansas" by John Brandon (a solid debut novel, btw), which is about people who just sorta fall into drug-dealing. The comment was posted by "Teenager" in response to talkbackers debating the notion of people turning to crime out of boredom, and goes like this.

I am from a town without cool bars and a shitty music scene.

I wouldn't turn to crime, but I do think about it a lot.

I know other people do too. I know this because GTA4 is selling exceptionally well.


Well said, Teenager. You nailed the "no-holds-barred yet consequence-free" appeal of video games. Deep down, we all just want to whack a hooker in the head with a lead pipe. We're animals, or at least our avatars are.

No comments: