Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Let's all repeat the infinitively recursive poem/rhyme

My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Wisconsin. I work in a lumber mill there. The people I meet when I walk down the street, they ask me my name and I say: My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Wisconsin. I work in a lumber mill there. The people I meet when I walk down the street, they ask me my name and I say: My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Wisconsin. I work in a lumber mill there. The people I meet when I walk down the street, they ask me my name and I say: My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Wisconsin. I work in a lumber mill there. The people I meet when I walk down the street, they ask me my name and I say: My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Wisconsin....

And so on, into infinity. Or madness. Whichever comes first.

I'm not sure why this popped into my head today, but it did. It was used by Kurt Vonnegut in "Slaughterhouse Five", although he didn't originally write it. It's origins are sketchy, although it may spring from Swedish immigrants arriving in the new world. Or it may just be one more retarded thing that springs from Wisconsin.

Thus endeth today's public service message.

No comments: