Monday, August 11, 2008

Notes from a Perkins virgin

This weekend I got together with a friend to work on a long-gestating web project, and somehow he talked me into doing this at a Perkins restaurant, an eatery of dubious distinction that festoons seemingly every corner of this great land of ours, and one I've managed to avoid in my 40 years on this planet.

My review? Small portions of sub-par food. I would have to give it 1/2 a fork. And that's only because the waitress was pretty attentive and kept refilling my water glass before it was even empty.

This isn't the first time this particular friend has led me into a low-grade wasteland. In fact, he excels at it. Sometime ago I coined a phrase for his ability to somehow talk me into visiting establishments that I know suck.
I said he possesses "Ghetto Charisma."

Here are just a few of the places this harbinger of crud has gotten me to frequent, either in his presence or at his fervent recommendation, that I would have otherwise never step foot in:

Radio Shack

Old Country Buffet

Auto Zone

TCF Bank (I not only belong to this bank now, but I sucked my wife into its low-rent clutches as well. This "dragged into the gutter by proxy" demonstrates how powerful his ghetto charisma truly is.)

Perkins

Denny's

Arby's / Sbarro combo restaurant

Buffalo Wild Wings

William's Bar (unsavory meat-market in uptown Minneapolis where you will choke on the fog of Axe body spray hanging in the air)

Various crummy Chinese food buffets


I'm certain that I'm forgetting some. I'm also certain this list will grow in the future.

4 comments:

Thomas said...

Their pancakes are quite tasty, I have to say. The rest is, indeed, rubbish.

austin said...

Is this about Luke? He dragged me to a Radio Shack once, too.

Blogfoot said...

He drags everyone to a Radio Shack at some point. It's were he and his wife had their first date.

RGame said...

I'm getting a culturally elite vibe here. It would really piss off if I don't know, deep down, that I'm better than all of you.